|The Early Years
On October 21, 1952, Marlowe Fisher, Texas State Secretary of the International
Association of Lions Clubs, presided over a meeting of sixty-two prospective members of
the second Lions Club to be chartered in Abilene. They met in the Alta Vista elementary
school cafeteria, with Clyde Penrod and Joe Williamson, president and secretary,
respectively, of the Abilene (Downtown) Lions Club.
Hugh E. Cosby was elected Charter President and Sterling Childers was elected Charter
Secretary of the new "Evenings Lions Club", which was officially Chartered on
November 25, 1952. The club is a member of District 2-E1, Region 6, Zone 6A. Dr. Ed
Dressen served as club president during 1954-55, when the club's name was changed to the
"Cactus Lions Club".